Free Book Reviews came up on his roll call. So many people were taken aback by the difference between the funny and witty J.L. Murphey that they looked me up here and other places and were greeted by my rant. Oops, my bad. Sometimes, I just reach my limit and have to vent. I forget about how many new readers I have. For this, I apologize profusely. Now onto our regularly scheduled email...
Since Wednesday's post my mailbox has been full of mail, they ranged from insulted to wanting to know more. Today, I'm going to focus on the insulted ones to respond to because it's controversial. No not really, but because it answers both views.
How could I discount them so easily? Because I can. There are thousands of indie authors publicizing their books on these sites, but the ones who actually makes sales is the one who develops a relationship with the reader. One ad over and over again won't sell your book any better than not doing it. If anything the reader will be so tired of seeing the ad they will go out of their way to NOT buy your book.
For online promotion to work takes a lot of time on your part. Most authors are busy writing their next book. I have said being an indie author you wear a lot of hats. This is one of them. But being smart about the way you use your time saves you fruitless effort, or wasting your time and money.
- Most media retailers have sites in which you can publicize your book unless you make a nuisance of yourself. Sony Nook, Amazon, CreateSpace, Smashwords is on Facebook and Twitter, GoodReads all have author forums.
- Most will let you introduce yourself, your book including back page blurb or synopsis and place a picture of the cover.
- I know GoodReads, CreateSpace, and Amazon will let you create author pages for Q&A.
- These are 24/7 sales people for your business.
- You can become affiliated with sites like Romance Writers, Sisters in Crime, SciFi writers, Independent author groups, etc. I just signed on with a stroke survival group. It wasn't to promote my upcoming book, but there is a tie-in.
- Online writer and reader groups are endless.
- Blogging or website which offer a feedback system.
It's building a relationship between authors and their readers or possible readers. It creates the buzz. To me, this is a better way of using money wiser.
Keep writing and loving the Lord.