Sunday, March 31, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: True Confession Time-Doing the Laundry

Time confession time. I hate doing laundry! I washed clothes, on average, three loads a day when my children were small. I never enjoyed the task even when I could afford an automatic washer and dryer. There's something so mundane about this chore. All the sorting, loading the washer, putting them in the dryer, folding, and putting them away. It's made even more difficult living post stroke.

Now, I do laundry once a month very grudgingly. It's two or maybe three loads with my comforter. I'll put off doing the laundry until I down to my last pair of clean
panties, socks, or pants. I hate this job that much. This is why I used to use a laundry service at my old place. I haven't found on here or I'd use it gladly. I imagine there is one because there are several laundromats here. I have not stopped to ask.

The price is a trade off in saving me the aggravation and what I consider a waste of my valuable time. In reality, this is a cop out and I know it. I know it should be done like changing your underwear every day.

Strange as it might seem, I don't mind ironing. I kind of enjoy it. I used to iron my sheets and pillow cases. I love ironing handkerchiefs. There's something almost cathartic about it.  The steam gives a great facial too.  Crazy, huh?

In this world of permanent pressed everything, I love ironing. Still I find some things to iron the day after laundry day. I use a knit fitted sheet on my twin sized bed, but the flat sheet is cotton. My pillow cases are cotton also so they get a pass under the iron. My permanent press shirts are old so the collars, cuffs, and button bands need a light press, not that I have many. It's not a lot, but enough to keep me happy.

Well, enough procrastinating, time to do the laundry.

Nothing is impossible.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really mind doing my part of the laundry. As I am in a wheelchair, my husband puts the clothes in the washer, then moves them to the dryer. I fold them and put mine away. It lets me help with a task I know he hates, and I feel a sense of accomplishment when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I felt a sense of accomplishment. All I feel is exhausted!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.