Sunday, April 11, 2021

Sunday Stroke Survival: An Advance Directive Gray Area to Think About and News

 

I'm happy to report that my endarterectomy went off without a glitch.  Of course I went over again my advance directives with my DPOA/HC before my surgery. Even though her copy of the living will spelled it out clearly, there was one additional item that needed to be discussed. If I had a devastating right sided stroke impairing my functional left side of my body and I survived.

This is a fray area in most advanced directives. They are mainly concerned with when and if I wanting artificial means of sustaining my life and care. Not if I continued to live (off ventilator) as a possible right sided stroke can do.

It honestly never crossed my mind because all my strokes to date (7) have been left sided strokes. I just figured a right sided stroke would kill me. An eleventh hour revelation caused me to formulate a plan for this occurrence. It was quite literally an eleventh hour because it was hurried text messages at 7 AM before my 1 PM surgery time. I figured my #2 daughter could show it as proof of my wishes in lieu of a notarized document. Not entirely legal, but it was better than nothing.

A few things happened when I went under the knife and afterwards. The day after surgery, the six attempted IV sticks before surgery made their presence known in glowing colors. It looks worse now that the bruising has spread with healing and now stretches around the elbow. I felt better after the successful endarterectomy. The draining stamina was nonexistent. The ET the anesthesiologist used had rubbed a section of my esophagus so it feels like there is an obstruction there and I'm stull hoarse. Yes, I was sore from the incision which is just below and follows my jaw line from my ear lobe to my mid neck (8" long). My neck will be  a road map of scars by the time they all heal between thyroid surgeries, T-CAR, and endarterectomy. Lastly, my #2 daughter called her sisters letting them know my wishes if this occurred.  That got my two younger daughters thinking. 

I actually feel great! Sure the incision site is sore and it slightly limits my necks range of motion, but that's to be expected. It's amazing what restored blood flow to half my brain does. No more headaches and more relaxed muscles in my neck. My brain is operating with less cobwebs now, which is always a good thing.

The night before last (Friday), I received a phone call from daughter #4, and surprise, surprise, daughter #3 was conferenced in.  It has been years since I have actually TALKED with them. I was almost in tears. Sure we Facebook, email, and text each other, but actually call to chat, not so much. Since daughter #2's call, they had been looking for options for me to move closer to family in the event I need to sooner than a waiting list would allow.

As expected, my children argued my choice of nursing home placement for now a mute issue. They wanted me to live with one of them. I refused outright. If I were to have a right sided stroke, I'd be total care. Both of them had jobs outside the home and short of them quitting work, they couldn't care for me without severe hardship.

Daughter #3, had another very interesting proposition for me. A year ago, she started working for a progression complex called Harmony at Savannah. They offer independent, assisted living, and memory care units. It's brand new and looking for applicants. It opened the week the COVID lock downs began in the country so it's filling up very slowly. My daughter is the assistant director of nursing there. As an employee, corporate offers a discount rate which is locked in for life for family members. With the discount, I'll well be within my means. I'll have family around (daughter, her husband and my two granddaughters) and only be an hour away from more family (father, sisters and brothers, etc.). As already stated I don't need or have much. I definitely wanted a private kitchen and bath. Everything else is optional. They have emergency call lights and pendant alerts even for independent residents as part of their services. They have transport available for shopping, doctor appointments, and excursions. They have a fairly decent activities schedule. So I can be as active as I like. All utilities are included including cable television and internet. So that will save me money. The advantage of being in town (city) options like delivery services for pharmacy, food, and groceries are available. There are hospitals available and I'll have choices available again.

Last week I talked about self sufficient living in senior care. I talked about this option too with my daughter. She laughed at me and told me they planted fruit trees in the memory care garden area just last week. They were talking about accessible gardening areas for the rest of the open areas around the facilities. The more we talked the more excited both of us got. Being within the city limits I doubt chickens would be allowed, but maybe a quail hutches could be done. It may not be a homestead, but it will be enough for me to piddle around. To get my preserving hat on, I'll have to go to the farmers/flea market, but that's do able also. Where there's a will, there's a way. It's not today or next week, but the option is there when I want it.

Nothing is impossible.


2 comments:

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.