Sunday, April 19, 2020

Adventures in Specialty Shoes

My shoes are different. They have to specially fitted and modified so I can't just run down to the shoe store if something happens to them to replace them.

At first, just after my first stroke, my AFO allowed me to wear regular shoes. But then, my Achilles tendon contracted within the first year. No amount of stretching will lengthen it now with the spasticity in my foot and ankle. To get around this, I'd need surgery, intensive therapy, plus a long recovery time. I know because I was desperate enough to get out of my AFO to consult an orthopedist. And again, a year ago. I just want to be able to walk again without pressure sores and pain. Is that too much to ask?

Going back to my shoes. My AFO is  built up at the heel to make allowances for my contracted Achilles tendon so the shoe must allow for it. It's also a full size up from my size and extra wide also. But the left shoe for my fully functioning foot, has rockers on the bottom to account for the height difference and a special insert that helps my foot seat right because I tore my Achilles tendon on that side years ago. Then, there was the stress fracture problem with my AFO.  Yes, I got a new  AFO which alleviated some of the problem, but not all of it. The shoe with a rocker on the right shoe fixed the problem. So, as you can see, regular shoes are out of the question.

Getting these shoes was no problem before Medicare. I was an insulin dependent diabetic so my BCBS paid for them.  Because my strokes and AFO required me to wear specialty shoes wasn't a covered expense. My doctors had no problem continued listing with a diagnosis of diabetes even though I was on no medication because my remission could be temporary like my heart issues. It was to Abby Normal for a stroke to kick start my Pancreas. They still say it but after 7 years of being insulin free and low-normal A1Cs, they won't argue the blessing. I'd gone from A1C readings without insulin of 15 (normal is 5-7) to consistent readings between 4-5 over a three month period. Yes, they tried me first on assorted drugs for over a year to no avail before switching to injections of insulin. I figured I'd be on the shots for life like my aunts and cousins until my stroke changed things.

Now, it's been seven years. I no longer have diabetes listed as one of my ailments. But Medicare and my Medicare supplements will cover my shoes, but only one pair a year. There in lies the problem. Wearing one pair of shoes 365/7/15 hours, they wear out. By the time I get a new pair, my old shoes are just barely working anymore.

Luna and Frankie at my feet
As if that were not an adventure enough, let me introduce you to my newest problems...Luna and Frankie. Luna and Frankie are the newest community dogs. They belong to Reynaldo who lives atop the 50' rise that borders one side of our property. Our two dogs become the community dogs on his property and at Sheba's place. These dogs are great friends. Together they protect our total 5 acres of land from predators. We love these dogs as if they were ours. In a way they are ours because they have free access into our home via the pet doors.

When it rains or is freezing outside, we end up with a canine slumber party. Think dog carpeting.The other community dogs spend the night by the wood stove. Nnyus and Kassity are our only dogs but we tolerate the other dogs because of the protection they offer. Frankie, Pit Bull, is the youngest at 12 weeks old. Luna is a 9-month old German Shepherd, Sheba, German Shepherd, is 16 years old, Nnyus, Pit Bull/Ridgeback, is 12 years old, and Kassity, Pit Bull/Great Dane, is now a year old. Nnyus and Sheba are teaching the young one how to protect the properties and dog manners.

Now, Mel and I are training the two youngest dogs people skills like not jumping on us and various other things. If they are in our house, they've got to learn to behave, right? They aren't allowed in their owners' houses unless injured. So, it's up to us to teach them indoor manners like leaving our cats alone, or not using the bathroom inside.

This is especially true with Frankie. Luna learns quick, but Frankie is a baby. Luna has chased down and killed two of our hens. And, Frankie has decided he wants to carry my scent with him home. He tried to carry one of my shoes up the hill but ended up dropping it before he got to the rise. They are so heavy with all the additions and he's relatively small yet. He did manage to carry off one of Mel's short Wellies, but I think Luna may have helped him with that two weeks ago. So it's not just mine. Today, they left and went up the hill for breakfast and came back down. When I got out of the shower I went to get dressed. I was missing a shoe! The little scamp had taken off with it again. It's not like I can put on any shoes either. I only have the one pair too.

I put on Mel's Wellies and went to search for my wayward shoe. It doesn't work well with my AFO because I can't do the lower straps of my AFO. So here I was walking very wobbly around the 1/4 acre of fairly flat land around the house. I looked everywhere to no avail. I called Reynaldo, but he wasn't home. I was stuck. Well I thought, I was about due for a new pair of shoes anyhow, I might as well get the ball rolling. I called my podiatrist to have her fax her notes on my foot care to my PCP, and then called my PCP to fax a prescription to Hanger Orthotics. Then, I called Hanger for an appointment. Yes, it is a long process. It will take about a month to get new shoes by the time it's all said and done. But that didn't fix my immediate problem.

Eventually, Reynaldo returned home. I heard him whistling. He's always whistling when he's outside. He searched his yard and found it! It is badly chewed with almost half of the Velcro closure straps and tongue chewed off. But I got my shoe back! I was so relieved. I was honestly trying to figure out how I was supposed to do what I needed to do for a month without shoes. From now on, my shoes will go on my dresser or on the back of the toilet. I don't need the new grey hairs.

Now for a scary update...my podiatrist faxed her notes to my PCP, and then my PCP's office called me asking if there was a form that she could fill out  and get the doctor to sign to save time. I answered that I didn't know. Their office is two blocks from their office, instead of me being 36 miles away, for her to call them directly. Both of us have been trying to call Hanger for a week now. We've left messages and no return calls. Do you think they've closed down their office due to the virus? There are 54 cases of active Corona cases in that county. If so, now what? Wait another month and chance not having shoes to wear? Actually two months because it's a month's process after I place the order.

 Nothing is impossible.

2 comments:

  1. I spend extra money on shoes because I always feel safer when I wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear Feragamos for the exact same reason.They were well made and comfortable. I made someone very happy after my stroke when I donated them all to Goodwill. Now, I just want a pair that fits and satisfies my needs.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.