Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: Yet Another Trip to Emory!

My appointment with Dr. Boules' partner happened on the 4th, Instead of writing another scathing post of the long, drive, the fighting Atlanta traffic there and back, and the rests, I decided to wait a few days to post.Y'all by now now it's winter and the trip to Atlanta hasn't gotten any easier.

I decided last year that this was going to be it, as far as these trips if I wasn't satisfied with the results. I wasn't going to waste another year in pain without something positive happening. I'd go back to Botox injections, if I had to.

Well as usual, I arrived 30 minutes early for my appointment. You can never tell whether you'll run into an accident or something else delaying you like trying to find a parking spot and having it be a 1/4 mile walk to the office. Even though my gps thingy says travel time from my front door to theirs is 65 minutes, I always allow myself two hours. My jogging days are ancient history. I could say I gave it up for Lent, but it's been almost seven years. (Grinning) Anyhow, I checked in and took a seat. I plugged my ear bug in and queued up up the latest Audible book I purchased.

At the allotted time,  my  name was called. The nurse couldn't get the automatic blood pressure machine to work. I told her that those machines didn't like my low blood pressure. After three attempts, she finally took my word for it. Oh darn, she'd have to do it the old fashioned way with an actual stethoscope. (snort) I was nursing long before those new fangled machines were created. I believe today's nurses depend on machines too much. Anyhow  she got my blood pressure after two attempts. 90/59 with a pulse rate of 72. All my meds were keeping them right where the cardiologist wants them with minimal stress upon my damaged heart and valves.

In saunters Dr. Boules' associate. He mentions the two options he was considering a baclofen pump or a SCS (Spinal Cord Simulator). He started explaining the basics when I stopped him. I in turn began telling him about the four years of research that brought me to Emory and why. He quickly realized that I wasn't an uneducated person. We started to discuss the matter in best outcomes and most benefits for my specific case. I simply cut out the preliminary BS.

We both agreed that the SCS was the best option while awaiting the more permanent rhizotomy. There were two hurdles to jump through, a MRI with contrast of my spine, and a pysch exam required of all pain management patients. The MRI is scheduled for the 26th at 8 PM. While I don't relish the idea of driving to, around, and from Atlanta after dark, I'll do it. The pysch consult, they'll call me back with the date.

Am I worried about either one? Nah. I love playing with the minds of professionals. (wicked, evil grin) As far as the MRI goes, it's like an old, comfortable pair of shoes. I've had so many since this scanning technique was born in the 80s, I can't even remember how many. I usually nap through them. Again there is hope for pain relief and function.

Nothing is impossible.







4 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you get what you want from this effort! Great way to cut to the chase with this doctor and not waste time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He quickly realized that I wasn't an uneducated person." At least he realized it! It's frustrating when the medical folk assume one's a dope. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm (in my limited experience). Glad you got someone who will actually partner with you, like they're supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Health providers do not know about the incremental changes that occur over years that can guide treatment. Sharing your knowledge is crucial for providing the best care.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.