Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Fun ~ At the Movies


Well not actually at the movies, but in my family room. But hey the seats are a lot more comfortable and with my external speakers, it's almost like the theater. I can microwave popcorn with the best of them plus it doesn't cost me two bucks.

Recently viewed was Skyfall. Yep, a good old James Bond flick.

I've been wanting to see this for a while so I bought it to go into our 007 collection. I don't particularly like Daniel Craig in his portrayal of the "license to kill agent." I'm a die hard Sean Connery or Pierce Bronson fan. But as always, I reserve the right to change my mind. I totally despised Timothy Dalton in the role.

For 50 years this franchise has gone through some growing pains, but has survived. That says a lot. Ian Fleming who wrote a novelized James Bond only had four of his sixteen books turned into movies, but the character has been immortalized in twenty-three flicks.

In Craig's two earlier recreation of Bond movies left a bad taste in my mouth, but this one was different. The old James Bond is back. This film is as fast paced as any other with sfx elements that defy belief until you see it.

The downside is "M," Dame Judi Dench, dies. A very gifted actress who makes every part her own. But not before some breath taking scenes like her reciting Tennyson to a crowded courtroom. She was actually the first "M" characterization I truly liked. She could stand toe-to-toe with Bond and take it as well as dish it out. A far cry from previous characterizations who only proved a foil for Bond's witty comebacks.

Javier Bardem portrays an excellent villain. Just crazy enough to be believable.  As for other characters, we break in a new "Q," which I didn't know stood for quartermaster, and a new Miss Moneypenny, Bond's long sidestepped flirt partner. What was noticeably missing was the "it girl," the Bond girl" present all the previous movies. While Raoul's mistress, Bérénice Marlohe, does a fairly good fill in, but I missed the Bond girl in this film.

Besides all that mentioned above, this was a good film and I'd recommend it to anyone. Overall, I'd give this an A+. It will only continue drawing a new audience with the this addition.

6 comments:

  1. It wasn't my favorite Bond film, but it was really good. Daniel Craig fills the role well now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Skyfall too. I think it may be my favorite bond movie because it didn't rely completely on techy gadgets and one liners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was my favorite of the Craig Bond movies so far. Was sorry to see M go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe I've never seen a Bond film?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree I loved this movie. But.... I still loved Sean Connery in the role.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex- Craig finally fills the role in his third Bond film.

    Sara, All the one liners and gadgets made the Bond films what they are today.

    Lara- Me too.

    Dana- Shocking!

    Rebecca- Connery defined Bond.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.