Monday, May 7, 2012

The Ugly Child

While I sit here pondering what I'm going to do about my Kindle books, it occurs to me that I haven't written anything about editing in a while.

What is the Ugly Child? It's your first draft and possibly even your second. It's the bones of editing your novel or book until it is beautiful. Now, I've been editing my own and a few others for almost twenty years...that's a long time. Even with all that time, I still make mistakes...doesn't everyone? I'm currently looking at my new zombie novel, "Zombie Apocalypse: Travelers."

Wow, this is painful. It sucks. It is so ugly in the second draft that's I've decided to scrap it and start over. The opening is banal, the middle mediocre, and the end while awesome leaves too many questions. No amount of editing or even plastic surgery would make this child even halfway passable as beautiful. No worries, being a creative sort I know how to make it better. Now, I'm shaking my head and wondering what I was thinking of while writing it.

Now, I could kick myself for six months down the drain, but I'm not. I'm a Jill of all trades and master at none. Everything about creation is a learning experience.If I was a master, I wouldn't have anything else to learn. I'm a firm believer of death being the absence of learning so I relish the chance to learn more.

I am now five months to a year behind my self-imposing  publishing schedule. Am I worried, nah. I'll get there eventually.

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.