Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Triumphant Tuesday & the Indie Author

tri·um·phant
adjective /trīˈəmfənt/ 
    1. Having won a battle or contest; victorious
    2.  Feeling or expressing jubilation after having won a victory or   mastered a difficulty
  
I know quite a few authors and writers have written "the end" on their masterpieces. They have struggled with the seemingly endless writing and editing phases of their novels. Reached the end of the process felt triumphant. Believe it or not... I do too. The sense of achievement is fantastic. It doesn't matter how many books you have out there. Each one is special.


This is me today. After the malaise of yesterday, I pushed through and finished the second book in my children's series. While it may not reach the best seller's list in fiction, Amazon #1, or any of the other distinguishing recognizable markers...it is my creation. There is an overwhelming feeling of triumph of completing a work. Is it an achievement, oh yes, it is. A mjor one!


Each and every novel or nonfiction created is a milestone. I feel victorious in a hard fought battle. The novel is formatted, illustrations complete and of acceptable DPI. You wouldn't believe this battle of back and forth. The cover is created. Now, all that is left is the publisher's mark of acceptance. Yes, even when self publishing there is big brother who has to look over your work...for me it's the CreateSpace team.

So what is this accomplishment I speak of? Let me show you. In two weeks, "mr. Goodbar Goes to the Hospital" will launch via CreateSpace and Amazon.com.

I've had so many people who purchased the first book, "Who Stole Baby Ruth" ask when the second would be ready for purchase. Right on target for me, the date will be October 31st. For those of you who have lived under a rock, or just joined my merry family of followers...my children's "Sweet Haven Series" deals with real life issues children face. These are stories I've told my grandchildren as a way of explaining all the bad stuff in the world. All the characters are name brand candies. For example, mayor mr. Goodbar, and his daughter, Baby Ruth.

This particular book, "mr. Goodbar Goes to the Hospital" was written for a member of a hysterectomy support group who had a young child. Now, mr. Goodbar could not have a hysterectomy so it's his gall bladder.  I've raised the reading level to 4th grade and added chapters to keep with the series. I may still publish the original story for younger children. (the original was for 3-4 year old youngsters). I would have to redo the illustrations. There was a need and a niche, and I filled it with this series.

Anyhow, that's my triumphant Tuesday.

What are you triumphant about today?

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Go Jo! You have a handle on this writing gig!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Thanks! Yeah after 30 years in writing, I think I some times do.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.