Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sunday Stroke Survival: Update

My Botox is in. I'm starting to get some relief of the cramping although actual movement and control haven't kick in yet. It will sometime in the coming days. I'll be calling Monday to set up my therapies again. I can't remember when I've been so excited about going. Imagine, seeing positive gains towards recovery!!

I know it's only temporary at this point, only lasting so long as the Botox is working, but the fact is, I'm meeting goals again other than just maintenance. Last time I managed 2 full minutes of standing, a full weight bearing, without my AFO before the spasticity kicks back in. It might not sound like much, but it's 2 full minutes of freedom after 12 years of my ankle and foot being locked in paralysis and/or spasticity. With support, I can sit, stand, and shift weight from my left and right foot for about 20 minutes without my AFO. It will take time to get new pathways rerouted in my brain and strengthen the muscles to combat the spasticity. 

Whew! It's been years since I've had any positive reinforcement to keep at it and hope alive for recovery. As I end every post with "Nothing is impossible," it is pretty tiring and almost trite to keep hope alive and stay positive. For now, 2 minutes of pre-stroke(s) normalcy is enough.

I had a mini nosebleed this week. In the wee hours I went to the little necessary room and noticed two small drops of blood on the floor. I reached for the toilet tissue to apply it to my nose. I also checked that a hand towel was in easy reach. The wad of toilet paper conveniently stuck in the blood to plaster it to my face as I applied pressure to the right sinus near the bridge of my nose. I was in the bathroom between my daughter and son in law's bedroom and mine, so I was within hollerin' distance of them. I kept waiting for the flow to either pour down the back of my throat or out of my nose. The seconds turned to minutes, it didn't. I gingerly remove the pressure from my nose and waited. Nothing. It had stopped on its own just that quick.

Needless to say, I didn't go back to bed. I sat at my computer for about three hours just in case it started again. I was terrified it would. Finally, as the birds outside began chirping and the skies lightened, I went back to bed. In the following days, no reoccurrence of the nosebleed. All I can do is raise my hand to heaven and say, "Thank you, Jesus!" It's nuts to have to live this way, but at least I know what the cause is not that really helps.

I had my visit with the vascular surgeon and the ultrasound showed a little more progression (ballooning) of my triple A (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm). But it's still in the "wait and monitor" category. We talked about the swelling in my legs. He didn't think it was a vascular origin problem because diabetes was no longer in my mixed-up medical history. With my Hashimoto's diagnosis though, he thought it was more a lymphedema problem. A blood test was needed to confirm. They also scheduled me for an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. It's been a year since it's been done. 

My heart cath was done Friday. Nothing unusual was found or at least nothing stent worthy. He did have a look at my three leaky valves. Yes, he confirmed they were leaking. (Hurrah!) Maybe he's not that bad at cardiology. He talked to me about valve replacement to which I refused. I'm still looking for a new one.

Nothing is impossible.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure those two minutes are pure bliss for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad about the botox and especially that you have something to give you some relief. Every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.