Sunday, December 15, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: More AFO Craziness

June 1918 #3 AFO
It amazes me that some stroke survivors can go years without having major go on other than replacing a buckle or strap. My AFO is defunked yet again. This makes the going on 4th time I've had to replace mine in only seven years! This is on top of just replacing broken buckles and straps. I always think of myself as unique. But this is going on ridiculous.

Granted there were extenuating circumstances like the increasing spasticity, pressure sores, broken bones, and the like. Now, I've been casted yet again for another one. It seems every 18 months, I've got to get another one.

My #2 daughter was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis at 2 years old. So I was well versed in getting replacement braces and splints for her every time she hit a growth spurt (about every18 months). But I'm not growing anymore except for out, as in fluctuating weight not height.

I go through a questioning period with myself with AFO replacements. Am I just too active and hard on my AFO? What's the sense in getting a orthotic if it won't allow you to do things as normally as possible? I mean without it, I can't be upwardly mobile and walking. Isn't that what it's supposed to do and keep on doing it? Why am I having such trouble with getting one and keeping it functioning. This time, instead of causing a blood blister that was surgically removed decubitus taking weeks to heal, but it then later it formed new pressure sores on my heel and ankle.  Am I doing something unusual? Everyone tells me I'm doing what I should be doing. Maybe a bit extreme, but they all tell me that they wished half of their patients follow my example. This is as far as getting on with their lives not homesteading.

Am I too unique and quirky that I can't be fitted for more than a 18-month life span for this orthotics? Possibly. I break a strap or buckle loose every four months or so. They've even started putting three or more rivets in mine to take the strain I put on them. I mean what's the normal time frame for this to happen, I dunno. I only have what's happened to me. The orthotic's company really can't tell me. At least not the one here. Their tag line is "Empowering Human Potential." Why can't they figure this out? It's not rocket science just mechanics. But even going once a month for adjustment to my current AFO is not working. I wish there was another orthotics company closer than the 2 1/2 hour drive to Atlanta.

Last year's hope of getting out of this AFO permanently was sort of derailed. Between the smoking issue and the baclofen pump fiasco that pretty much ate up the year. So I'm faced with another new AFO. GRRR!

In other news...
I had the full body scan done. I called for the results and was given an appointment for next week. That's never a good thing. My PCP and I have a rule, you don't bother me and I won't bother you unless absolutely necessary. I'm not a self fulfilling prophecy type of person. I don't mourn loss until it's done and over with like when my husband was dying. I don't tend to worry at all. I tell my Daddy (God) and leave Him in control.

I'm not in self denial. I know why I'm going to see my PCP for the results. The cancer is not gone. My only question is where and what course of treatment options I have. I'll decide, after praying, just what choice I chose. I may chose to do not to do anything. I'm honestly tired of fighting. Don't get me wrong. I love my life even such as it is living post stroke. The ultimate choice is mine.

Nothing is impossible.

2 comments:

  1. I am lucky because I only need new Velcro straps every 2 years. That's when I think about the people in 3rd world countries who don't have access to a braceman or the money to pay for orthotics.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.