Sunday, October 27, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: More After Effects of Baclofen Pump

Sigh! You'd think I'd catch a break every now and then from Murphy's Law. This post isn't one. I told you that the spasticity was back after my pump was removed in July. My arm slowly drew up into it's greater than 45 degree angle to my chest again. The spasticity pain levels, which for me, is constant with peak activity bordering on excruciating. The constant pain with it stationary is now a 5 out of 10 with spikes up to 7. Still it is still livable. I mean, I was much higher before the pump placement. I'm still managing to work around it with an occasional verbal ouch or grimace. So far, I haven't streamed tears in silent agony. But it's still early yet. Believe me I'm not looking forward to the progression. Hopefully, I can have a new one implanted before I hit that again before the end of the year. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

Right foot spasticity
I haven't spoke about the spasticity in my foot and ankle, I don't think. But the spasticity has returned in that area too. It's a strange type of spasticity when I compare it to my arm. It has to have a trigger most times, like a weight bearing step before it really kicks in. While building up my stamina with walking, I noticed that the area where I used to get pressure sores was getting tender. But with a good night's rest, the foot would be good as new. My right foot without my AFO is as pictured except my big toe points towards the sky and all the other toes curl under.

Well, the spasticity in the foot ankle are putting up a serious fight with my AFO. I can't stand or walk more than an hour before my foot becomes rounded with swelling. This could also be because of the heart functions. But with the swelling, more pressure was exerted on the right side of my foot resulting in yet another pressure sore developing in the same old spot. So this week I've been dealing with it. It hasn't ruptured the skin yet and blown off the callus. For the last four days, it's just sore, gushy under the callus, and an angry red color. Not even eight hours being off my feet, sleeping with my leg elevated hasn't helped. I can barely walk more than ten steps without pain. Once those ten steps are reached and the pain starts and after that EVERY STEP is painful. Talk about putting a crimp in my style.

Usually, this lasts two days before the area becomes an ulcerated sore. Not that this isn't painful, it is but there's an ointment that helps the healing and deadens the pain somewhat. Still there is a treatment for healing the sore. In the current stage, it's basically stay off it. That's nearly impossible. I do have to go to the bathroom, get a drink every now and then, and eat. To do these things I have to walk. Sure Mel could and would help with some of these things. She has helped when I've asked her. She even remembered something I had forgotten (sort of). We started nightly warm foot soaks with Witch Hazel and Apple Cider Vinegar. Both have astringent/antifungal/antiseptic properties to combat the swelling, soften the callus, and disinfect the area. It can't hurt. Besides the warm tingling sensation feels good.

I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow, if it hasn't ruptured or resolved by then, I'll have him lance and drain it. He may or may not do it. If he does, the ointment I have will work and it can begin the healing process. It usually takes less than a week for the pain to go away even though it's so much longer for it to heal totally. My options to prevent this from happening again are options that may not be possible for several months. A new AFO- this will be my 4th in 7 years.Foot Reconstruction surgery- ugh! more surgery that might have to wait or carry over until next year, Botox injections- done that, didn't work well, Baclofen pump- waiting to heal from last surgery, radioactivity, and whole body scan to see if it spread...cancer trumps all. I still have a rotor rooter procedure on my carotids.

It seems the more I get done the more things pile up behind it. But then again...

Nothing is impossible.


2 comments:

  1. Pressure sores are serious. I hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.