Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Stroke Survival: The 2015 Neuro Film Festival

Each year since my stroke I've toyed with the idea of making a film for this...once again I've failed to act on it. The deadline was February 25th. Heaving a big sigh. Maybe next year...again.

It's not like I don't have anything to say. The Good Lord knows as well as my readers know that I have plenty to say. Having up to five minutes to do it in is great.

Some ideas I had for topics...all having to do with adjusting to my life after a stroke.
  1. Adaptable homesteading single-handedly was the first major topic I could think. It would involve cooking, preserving, gardening, and animal care.
  2. The second was sort of based on the previous theme, by going into detail about angora rabbit care, harvesting their wool, spinning it into yarn, and how I knit now.
  3. When the stroke survivor is the primary caregiver for another in their house.
  4. Dry Needling. Yep I'm sold on this modality. A before, during and after of upper and lower limb spasticity.
You've got to admit either of the three topics would be a unique perspective for a stroke survivor. Not many of us survivors are in survival/self sufficient mode. All three directly relate to me and my life, but it also offers hope to other survivors because they are not walking in my shoes. It's the doubled edged sword of "Whew, I'm glad that this is not me after a stroke" and "If she can do it maybe I can too."

That should read "New Resting angle"
The fourth would be an informational video of my experiences. I'm still in awe of how well this works. I'm now up to fifteen reps of dorsiflex/evert on my foot and the ability is lasting two days. My therapist and I have come to the conclusion that there is too many contractures in my wrist for it to stay straight in a neutral position, but we are working on it. It was bound to happen with the limited amount of stretching I could do with my wrist. But still my wrist only cocks at a 30 degree angle instead of 90+ degrees now. Every session fills me with such hope for recovery.

Not only am I facing challenges that every other homesteader faces but I'm basically doing it on my own with no assistance because I don't have the help of a fully able spouse. There in lies part of the problem. There is no one able to video tape me doing any of this. The other part of the problem is not having a video camera. I don't own a tablet or one of those smart phones to even make do. The only video editor I have is the one that came with my computer. So I really have no way of making a video at all short of doing a power point video and doing a voice over.

I've been inspired by the videos I've seen over the past three years and look forward to them this year. Anyhow, I'm still dreaming of the day when I make my own video and submit it. Not that the $1,000 prize is nothing to sneeze at. I could do a lot with that. The trip to Washington, D.C. Well that's a hurdle. But I've used to live there so it isn't so exciting to me as it would be to some others. I couldn't leave my hubby for that trip. There's always respite care if push came to shove.

Nothing is impossible with determination.

2 comments:

  1. You just need to find someone who could tape if for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find the camera person and you will have a great video. Any of the topics would be great, but I'm partial to the caregiving one. Your selflessness is massive.
    {{{{hugs}}}}

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.