Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuesday Tumbling Term ~ Write Right

Tuesday Tumbling Term as it pertains to the indie author is...WRITE. This week we are looking at reasons a writer writes.

write
verb (used with object)
1. to trace or form (characters, letters, words, etc.) on the surface of some material, as with a pen, pencil, or other instrument or means; inscribe: Write your name on the board.
2. to express or communicate in writing; give a written account of.
3. to fill in the blank spaces of (a printed form) with writing: to write a check.
4. to execute or produce by setting down words, figures, etc.: to write two copies of a letter.
5. to compose and produce in words or characters duly set down: to write a letter to a friend


Over the years I've heard tons of reasons why a writers write. They stem from a dream to be published or just for personal enjoyment. I should also add continuing to be published as in my case.

If your goal is to be published there is a much larger learning curve than personal enjoyment. The number one and two are editing and the right words to write. There are thousands of other steps and I'm not over simplifying them, but for most authors these are the biggies.

Editing is the biggest headache for those seeking publication. It's not the case of dotting every "i" and crossing every "t." There's a whole list of grammatical rules to follow, and break and know when to break them. If it wasn't for grammatical rules everyone would be a published author. Even an indie one. I spend two to three times as long editing a piece for publication than initially writing a piece. It's daunting at best.

I know authors that agonize over every word choice in the first draft. Every sentence means what they want. They can spend a full day on one sentence. By the end of the year they will have 365 sentences...that might be ten pages out of 100-600 page manuscript. This is truly an exaggeration because sometimes they nail it on the first go around. But still that's an accomplishment over not doing.

I also know writers that write just to get the idea down on the page. I'm one of these sort of.   I tend to write first. So what if it's not perfect. Nothing is perfect on the first attempt. There is so much room for self doubt and second or third guessing.

So what kind of writer are you?
Keep writing and loving the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. I'm grateful to finally get the full story on paper (as the first draft is my least favorite part of the process) but I do carefully plan ahead and chose my words with care. I guess the flip side is that it makes editing more enjoyable because it's not a big mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Alex--the more time I spend on the first draft, the less time I have to spend editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We keep pushing ourselves and stay open as people.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.