Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Exercise After a Stroke

This was forwarded to me by my local stroke group, Brain Reconnect. When you are in hospital rehab, they throw fifty million different things at you in the way of exercises. You'd be lucky to remember half of them and they might not be continued by your hometown therapist.

Such was the case with me. While I remembered all the exercises that had to do with my drop foot, and ham string, I forgot the exercise for my Achilles tendon stretches thus I got a contracture of, you guessed it, my Achilles tendon. It's a lot better the prevent it than trying to fix it.

The program is called "Stroke class with Susan" and it is on YouTube. This one exercise would have saved me a lot of pain, built up shoes and AFO modifications.



Anyhow, I've spent the week emailing back and forth with Darren Baxendale, the business manager, about this stroke class. Because it's new and I thought it would be helpful to us stroke survivors.

The website just just touts a free trial with the first session starting tomorrow, 9/10/2014, but it's whenever you can tune in. That is a definite draw for me. Before I fell in love with the class, I wanted to know what it was going to cost me when the free trial ran out.  As tight as our personal finances are, I didn't want to take the chance of losing another thing that could help me.

The answer is...they don't know how much to charge yet. It's an interest gauging type thing so that's why it is a trial. So I signed up for the trial. It is supposed to run weekly so I'll just have to wait and see like everyone else. I just hope I can swing it because if nothing else, it might add some oomph to my routine. I'm always looking for new ways to do stuff, aren't you?

All the videos will run like the one above and be more involved. Hopefully, Darren will answer the questions I sent him in my last email and I'll get some more information. As I get it, I'll pass it on to you. Maybe even do some PR for them with an interview.

Nothing is impossible with determination.

3 comments:

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.