Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday Stroke Survival ~ Running After a Stroke

Confession time: I haven't ran in decades at least in the physical sense. Not since I had rods put in my back, a hip replacement, and knee replacement done. Is it any wonder?

After all those surgeries plus an Achilles tendon ankle repair, I did a rapid walk rather than running. Since my strokes I've graduated from snail speed to tortoise speed in two years. I'm doing grand.

People holding doors for me or needing me for something always tell me to take my time or in a parking lot with cars stopping for me. I respond back one of several comebacks...
  • "This is as fast as I can go."
  • " I'm at top speed."
  • " Whoosh! Did you feel the wind as I passed ya?"
  • "Patience is a virtue. Learn some." (When they roll their eyes or beep their horn)
  •  "I've givin' her all she's got, Captain!" (In my best Mr. Scott impression from Star Trek)
But that doesn't mean I don't run because I'm always running. The energizer bunny has
nothing on me. I keep going and going...well, you know the rest.

I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off most days.
I am running a household.
I am running errands night and day.
I am running to keep ahead of an everyday growing set of complications.
I am running towards a brighter future.
I am running in circles most days.
I am running NYC marathons each and every day although not in the physical sense, but mentally juggling items and tasks.
I am running ahead of the insanity of my life. Oh, wait! It's already caught me.
I am constantly denying the urge of running away.
I am running into walls (obstacles) at every turn.
Best of all! I am running my own funny farm. Gentlemen in white coats, please take me away.

So the next time someone say, "Oh look, she can't run anymore because of her stroke."
Yes, I am running!
I'll leave you with this...
 
Standard YouTube License

And remember...
Nothing is impossible with determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.