Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Mailbox ~ The Down Side

It's time again to answer your questions.

Writing seems like a daunting task. I keep reading about the challenges you face, but your blog is always so positive. I'm just a reader who loves to read. How do you do it?  And why? SM

My reply...

I write because it is something in me to do it. Yes I have some tremendous stresses in my life, but I try to always remain positive. Having a positive outlook on everything is difficult at times and honestly, I'm not always up. But I make a positive choice or choices in my life. I pick the battles that I might be the underdog but will come out victorious in.

Yes, I could sit on the pity pot and never get off. Some say given my life, they would bury themselves in the bottom of a compost heap. I can relate to that, but make a conscious effort not to. You can only make so much applesauce or lemonade in your life. I'm reminded of the scene from Baby Boom where Diane Keaton is sitting in the middle of jars and jars of baby applesauce. Some days are like that for me.

If writing was easy, everyone would do it. I take that back, everyone is doing it. Let me clarify. If writing WELL was easy, everyone would do it. The fact is it is very hard to do well. The hours, weeks, and months it takes to begin a manuscript and write on until the end is daunting to most writers as well. I will type a manuscript and just keep typing until the end. I am actually surprised when I reach the end. There's not a headier feeling short of giving birth. I love that feeling.

That being said, there are a number of pitfalls along the way between Chapter 1 and "The End." I go into quite a few on this blog. I just keep plugging away. Fingers touching keys on my keyboard until completion.

Right now I'm eight months into Don't Get Your Panties in a Wad and wondering if I can finish it. I seem to be spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. It's all starting to run together in my mind to the point where I'm underwater and don't know which way is the surface. I'm frustrated, but not blocked. I'm kicking myself when I'm down. I'm fighting my mind and body at the same time. I'm struggling with every word I type and changing it fifty bajillion times. I can't make a decision on which word to use...SM, is that really what you want to read here?

Honestly, the goals I set for myself are fluid. They have to be for me to have any sense of success. I originally set a goal of 600 words a week. Well, for the past two months, I may have written that much. I let it go. To stress over it is just not worth it. To write for the sake of writing and sacrifice living is not something I agree with. I choose for today to look on my blessings. Not what I can't do, but what I can. It's my only option for my sanity or insanity as the case may be.

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how one could survive as a writer with a bad attitude. Life is too short to be that down all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither do I Alex and I agree life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that scene in Baby Boom. Some days life is very much like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, Don't you just love to hate those days? lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.