Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday Tumbling Terms~ Blog/Website







This week's Tuesday Tumbling Terms for the writer is Blog/Website.

blog
noun
1. a Web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites.
verb (used without object)
2. to maintain or add new entries to a blog.
Origin: 1995–2000;  shortening of Weblog

Web site
noun
Computers. a connected group of pages on the World Wide Web regarded as a single entity, usually maintained by one person or organization and devoted to a single topic or several closely related topics.
Origin:  1990–95 


As you can see they are basically the same, if you choose to use it this way. You can incorporate a blog into your website, if you want. 

Yes, with a website you get your name as domain name. It costs money to register the domain. It costs money to maintain the site because if you are not a programmer fluent in html forget about it. Website designers make a killer of a living because charge for each additional update so the page basically stays the same. Sure, you can DYI it, but again there is a cost for the program and domain name.

People like change as in updates and possibly a new look when they stop by. They are a fickle bunch. They get bored easily. Why stop by a website unless you are going to buy something? If you are looking for something to buy, you don't care so much about how a site looks. For example, take a look at Ebay, or Amazon. Every decade or so they will revamp their overall look, but they basically stay the same. I've visited author sites that don't change unless they publish a new book and that's an add-on. Why would I want to keep coming back to the same information to reread? Today, the speed of information on the web changes by the minute or hour.

Wait, I get that with my blog too. (jomurphey dot blogspot dot com) It is mine exclusively as is The Murphey Saga. No two blogs can have the same name. No fee for domain or updates. I can update daily or several times a day if I want. I have full design control over what my background looks like. See my books in the background? Neato, huh? I think I finally found something that screams "memememe!" I can change the format, text size, and a host of other things with a click of my mouse. Do people return to my site often? You betcha. I always have something interesting to say...er, um, maybe.

But the bottom line is exposure. No, I'm not talking about flashing or streakers. Get your mind out of the gutter. The more it changes the more readers I get. The generation of readers increases possibility of sales of my books. Yes, I'm exposing myself in a decent way. You really want to know someone or the writing style of an author you might want to read...stop by their blog.

So do you blog as an author? Send me your link.

(Just so you know spams will be deleted)

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. I started with a blog because is iut free but have come to love it because of the freedom. I don't want a website consultant between me and what I post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca,
      That is a definite perk. I was my own web spinner so I only had to pay for the domain. But still the hosting fee had to be paid for too. Back then I was well versed lmth. I could write it forwards and backwards. With Blogger I don't have to bother with it.

      Delete
  2. Hi, it's the first time I've visited your blog. I've written 4 children's books: Tails of Sweetbrier, Charlie the Horse, Charlene the Star and Charlene the Star and Hattie's Heroes. If you'd like to find out more about my books, please go to:www.dhdunne.blogspot.com. My first 2 books are coming out in second edition soon. Both Charlie the Horse and Charlene the Star and Hattie's Heroes will be out in Kindle next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanie,
      Welcome to my site. I love the idea of other authors visiting my site but please restrict your comments to what the blog pertains in the future not just to plug your books...it's only polite. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.