Sunday, April 12, 2020

Sunday Stroke Survival: Flipping the Wardrobe Time Again

I was beginning to think this day would not come until later, but the daytime highs are broaching 80 again. Thank goodness! I really knew it would happen, but the question was when. My sweaters, sweatshirts, and flannels will be packed away for another few months. It's shorts and t-shirt weather!!!!

I've transitioned back into wearing urinary incontinence pads full time again. I got fed up with having to get undressed from the waist down to change my pull up diapers. It took me months to reach this stage. I'm still not mostly in control like I was before the surgeries last year, but in control enough to pitch the diapers. I'll still have accidental floods. I can name two causes. One is running water. I don't care if I relieved myself five minutes prior, I'll stiIl flood the pad. The second one is partially my fault of not minding the time and my fluid intake very well.  The simple act of trying to stand will cause a flood upon gaining my feet and every step to the bathroom.

As most people who wear an AFO to stand and walk can attest to, having to get up in the middle of the night to urinate is a possible fail. When you are awakened by your bladder, you just can't jump out of bed and go. If it were that simple, I'd have no problem. But first you have to put on your AFO fastening the straps most times in the dark. I keep a nightlight on. Don your shoes, and then get up to go to the bathroom. If your bladder is really full, nine times out of ten, your bladder starts to release as soon as you are upright and gravity has its two cents to add. It takes really strong pelvic floor muscles to contain the urine. Unfortunately, mine were impaired by my strokes and surgeries. Having gravity's pull on the sphincter, is too great. I oft time do not make it to the toilet. I do manage enough control over the onslaught to get it from running down my legs.

That leads to another issue with colder weather. I can't wear flannel bottoms of my pajamas. The more that gets in my way between my bottom and the toilet is too much to deal with. So my legs are freezing by the time I finish the chore. Hello, warm weather! I can sleep in a XL t-shirt and panties. But even that, often my panties and t-shirt are soaked, and then I have to clean myself up too. After all this rigamarole, I'm wide awake and can't go back to sleep. It doesn't matter that I just went to sleep a couple hours before. I'll have to get up and do something for a couple hours before I can sleep again. Talk about a messed up sleep pattern.

So as I type this, I'm clad in my t-shirt and panties, and enjoying a cup of Earl Grey tea. Good morning. The fact that it's two o'clock in the morning is besides the point. It's going to be a long day. Maybe, I'll catch a nap this afternoon...probably not. More than likely, I'll doze off while watching the two shows we watch after dinner. I guess I could be lazy and just put on a pull up diaper at night again. Nah, where's the adventure in that?

Nothing is impossible.

2 comments:

  1. I am lucky my toilet is close and using my quadcane lets me walk slowly without my brace when I wake in the middle of the night. I also wear a pad for extra insurance. Lately my back has been bothering me so I got out my raised toilet seat so I don't strain when I sit down and stand up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, Are you ever amazed that the words "lucky" and "stroke survivor" could be said in the same sentence? I used to scoff at folks saying I was lucky my sensory nerves were only minorly affected by my strokes. Funny, I haven't felt lucky.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.