Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sunday Stroke Survival: You Ever Hear the Saying...

When it rains, it pours? Well, that's how it's been around here for a while now both figuratively and literally.

Remember last week I planned for us to go out for a pizza? I made plans to do it sooner rather than later. Last Monday, I had an appointment with my new vascular surgeon. The CTA of my carotids showed my left carotid artery is greater than 95% blocked while my right was only 70% blocked. He showed my the CTA and I couldn't even see a pin hole of contrast in two parts. The left side needed to be cleared yesterday according the surgeon or I was at major risk a massive stroke. Wouldn't you know it would be on my left side where I've had all my other strokes too. The exception would not be a blood clots, but plaque.

When I recited what I'd been through this summer he nixed the idea of an open roto-rooter approach in favor of the newish TCAR. It's like a heart cath with stent placement. It is done as an outpatient procedure (about 4 hrs in and out) An external tube with a filter shunts the blood from my carotid to my femoral arteries. No plaque or blood clot could pass through the filter so the likelihood of having a stroke from this procedure is minimal. I told him I needed two weeks to do my own research (pros and cons) and pray about it. He agreed and set me up a consult for two weeks hence. I don't take anyone's word on what's best for me. You shouldn't either.

My neurologist cleared me to drive again February 1st. Yippee. As of this appointment I let Mel drive because she had some shopping to do in the "big" city. We were having such a good day talking about future plans like the chicken and quail farm, and just things in general. It was a bright, sunny day. The high was almost 70 that day! A true rarity for months of 2 days of sun maybe and the rest of the time freezing rain and snow flurries. We decided, since we were out and about anyhow, we'd do the pizza night thing on this particular Monday instead of waiting for Valentines Day. Even though I might call her "honey," I'm just as apt to call her "youngen." She ain't my sweetie. It's a southern thing.

As we turned off the main four lane into our town, I heard it and so did Mel. The dreaded thinking in the engine. Mel drove maybe a thousand feet before she could pull off the road. Mel checked the oil. It was about half a quart low, so she put that in. As she started the car, the thunking continued. My van was throwing a rod. We drove the van directly to the auto shop (less than 1/4 mile away). By the time we got there and opened the hood, oil poured from every crack and crevice around the motor. We didn't need the mechanic to tell us the engine was blown.

A neighbor (from 1/4 mile away) came to pick us up and carried us home. Mel hadn't replaced her truck that I had totaled in an accident in May. She was being picky, but understandably so. The days of backyard mechanics are over unless you have a pre-1980s vehicle. The cost of replacing the engine was more than my 18 year old vehicle was worth. Although I did love my Toyota Sienna van. I'll miss her. So now that I can drive again, I have nothing to drive for the time being.

Once home, we two, sexagenarian widows sat down and cried. After I cooked dinner, we discussed our situation. We had to have a vehicle. were out miles from town. I called Enterprise Car Rental, because they'll pick you up and they were the only car rental place in three counties. I rented it for a week because I didn't know how long it would take for Mel to get another vehicle SUV or truck, We had to have 4 wheel drive around here. As tight as it's been financially lately around here, I had no choice. They would pick Mel up the next day and she would start looking for a vehicle.

I've been telling Mel for years to give those things too big to handle to God and trust Him to sort it all out. Well, that night she did just that just as I did after the shock wore off. The next morning I reminded her of God's promise. She confessed what she'd done. I told her, "Let God work and don't worry the problem is being fixed." 

She stopped and called about every suitable vehicle with a "for sale" sign on it. None were in our price range. Then she hit the two dealerships and then every (3) buy-here-pay-here dealerships. The main problem even with a buy-here-pay-here dealerships, Mel hasn't held a job for three years. Nobody would sell her a car. Then she found a friend that she thought had gone out of business, hadn't. She went to see him. He had just moved it. He had two possibilities that he could sell her a Chevy Blazer and a Jeep. He flat told her she didn't want the Jeep. But she test drove both and decided on the Chevy. They discussed terms and shook hands on it. Yes, this is a small town where a handshake still means something.

So Wednesday, after only renting a truck for a day, she returned the vehicle to Enterprise. But there was a problem. Because of the short turn around, the week's worth of rental fees and deposit couldn't be refunded to her for two days. All her belief in "letting God work" went out the window went out the window and she panicked. She called me hysterically, she didn't have the money for the Chevy without some of that money. I talked to her calmly and eventually she took a breath. My words were beginning to sink in. I told her to call her friend.

Long story short, she had enough money in her wallet. She came home beaming with her prize.

"See, I told you let God work," I told her. "In the end, everything fell into place, didn't it?"

She responded, "Ya after my near heart attack and stroke."

"Be careful of the words coming out of your mouth. You could be me, and still not have a vehicle. Anyhow, whose fault was your near heart attack and stroke?

She looked down at her shoe. "Mine."
"Why?"

"Cause I tried to be an Indian giver with God"

"Repeat after me, Thank you, Jesus!"
                        She actually said it four times and I responded "Amen!"


So even though it was raining cats and dogs outside, a little bit of Son-shine poured in.

After all of that, the weather again kept Mel from driving anywhere. High winds, torrential rains, and 8" of snow fell within a couple of hours followed by 60 degree temperatures. Can you say thick mud? 

Nothing is impossible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.