Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Redefining Disability Project ~ Post #13

http://rosebfischer.com/2014/07/15/the-redefining-disability-awareness-challenge/
The question--



Describe a good day in relation to the ways your life is affected by disability.


Everyday is a good day whether it is affected by my disability or not. I heard the quote
"Any day above ground is a good one."

And, it's true. So I try to live my life with that appreciation for life. You can always find a examples during a day for picturing your day as bad. The challenge is finding the good and focusing on it.  This is especially hard when you have a life like mine as a stroke survivor and a caregiver for a terminally ill spouse. The list of bad days stuff that affects your life is a never ending, long list.

Having a good day is a relative term made up by moments. When I can measure more good items than bad, it's a good day. As I have said before, my disability affects every facet of my life. There's just no escaping it.

It's a good day...
  • If I can make it to the bathroom before I pee my pants.
  • If I can dice something without chasing it around the cutting board first.
  • If I can sleep longer than four hours without my husband or myself being in pain.
  • If I don't have to change a diaper.
  • If my husband wakes up and smiles at me before complaining of pain.
  • If the sun is shining.
  • If my grandchildren visit.
  • If my hair behaves when I just run my fingers through it.
As you can see, it's the little things that add up to make my good day. They aren't earth shattering, but it's enough to say I've had a good day and I am blessed.


2 comments:

  1. What a great attitude, you're an example to all. You know, I really miss my caring role. Instead of being onerous it was a chance for me and Andrew to spend quality time together and we would have a laugh and joke at the same time. It is all about how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is helpful today: I started the morning with a string of small negative things, which made me expect more bad to follow. Of course they will - little bad things happen every day, but that doesn't mean something good won't offset it. Expecting the worst all day would have made me see all those bad things as significant, when they're not.

    My dog just ate my lunch while I went to fetch a cup of tea. In reality, if that's the worst thing that happens to me today, it'll be a good day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.