Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Redefining Disability Project~ Post #12

Okay by now, you've clicked on this posting because you want to read about my take on this project.
http://rosebfischer.com/2014/07/01/redefining-disability-an-interactive-blogging-project/  
Today is question #11. It's a Free Post Day where I can talk about anything I want to. You know me...I always have something to say. (grinning big)

Something that I'm waiting on is the decision if the new dry needling procedure for spasticity will be covered under insurance. I'm waiting on pins and needle quite literally.

Dry Needling is where they poke trigger points with a needle repeatedly to deaden the response of nerves causing adverse reaction, namely spasticity for me. My left, affected arm becomes so spastic that it will draw tight up into my chest with the wrist cocked at greater than 90 degrees and the hand clenched into a fist hard enough for my fingernails to draw blood from my palm. It will not move without severe pain and extreme force. This causes pain and cramping throughout the arm, but especially in the shoulder which is not paralyzed.

Yes, there is a lot of controversy about the procedures. Like any treatment- it will work, not work, or exacerbate the condition. Wohoo! I remembered a six million dollar word, (exacerbate) but spelled it wrong- thank you dictionary. Who should do it? What are the parameters/protocols? Is it too new/experimental for insurance to cover? I'm still awaiting the decision and two therapists who are to be certified mid-January.

Since my bad experience with the last Botox series, I've been looking for an alternative to the toxin I voluntarily allow to be put into me (Botox). I came too close to kidney failure. It actually scared me. I don't need another medical condition added to my long laundry list of ailments. I've spent a month and a half changing medication around to not stress my kidneys so they can heal.

So my plan is this if the dry needling is possible (if insurance doesn't cover it, I can't afford it) is to do both Botox and dry needling together with neurologist's approval. No studies have been done on this. I just know how bad my spasticity is without Botox and rather not be there. The idea is that it may take several sessions of dry needling before it reaches it full effectiveness. I personally, don't want to be in pain longer than I have to. The Botox can take one or two weeks before reaching full effectiveness.

my arm in spastic mode
If you haven't read my previous posts on my spasticity, it's an equivalent to having my arm locked in place, and having a Charlie Horse lasting two hours with an hour break before starting into the cramping again. Any attempted movement even gravity will set it off again. Try getting up from a chair without gravity playing on your shoulder. Now, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but a week or more with this kind of pain around the clock, for weeks or months, will wear on anybody even a masochist.

So the prospect of another treatment for my post-stroke spasticity is a godsend. So I'm seriously waiting on a bunch of needles. My next series of Botox and the dry needling. Good thing I'm not afraid of needles. I'll try almost anything to stop this spasticity. Did I fail to mention my leg also is spastic? It's two for the price of one. What a bargain-- NOT. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I'll keep you posted.


1 comment:

  1. I really hope your insurance covers it. You need a pain break.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.