Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Christmas Gift

Has it really been three days since my last post? I guess it has been. As we approach the winter solstice tomorrow it seems like the days are running together in my mind. Last minute Christmas shopping Hanukkah gifts for friends. Zwanzaa gifts for others...just too many things going on at the same time within a few days of each other. Oh, and writing. I'm so behind in my self-imposed writing schedule it's insane. Things which should have been finished in October are still up in the air.

But I have to tell you about the best Christmas present I received. I got it today from my husband... a new wedding ring set. I still have my old set, but the knuckle on my ring finger won't let me wear them anymore. They are after all only a size 4. The new set *sigh* the picture doesn't do it justice or maybe it's just these old fingers. There are twenty diamonds in the engagement ring plus the center stone...one for each year we've been together. He told me the center stone represented God and since He blessed him with me. He said the band has another ten for the next decade. There weren't enough tissues in the store for me.

The reason I got it early...well my husband doesn't drive anymore so I had to take him to the jewelers to pick it up. This year all our children were working and he was as excited as any kid on Christmas morning.

Before he put these rings on my finger I asked him, "Are you sure you want to do this? He told me, "Yep, I've had you around for twenty years and figure this would keep you mine for another twenty." Can we say "Awwww!" together?

This was the same man who knew I hate diamonds (my birthstone) in the previous twenty years because I told him "forever" was a long time in hell *my previous marriage). So what stone was in my engagement ring? An Amethyst...it means "everlasting." In fact that's how he proposed to me...he said his love for me was everlasting. Now with this new set, it is forever. If it hasn't been hell by now, it won't change. Even though love changes over time, he still makes me laugh and smile. Even in his mostly incapacitated state, he takes care of me and I know he is my hugest fan.

When I look back over the years I'm surprised how quickly it went by. Time has a habit of zipping by when you are in college, working, and raising children. Now, it's grown children, an empty nest, and eight grandchildren. It's nice to still be cherished and loved.

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

2 comments:

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.