Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: Test Results Are In for the SCS Trial

The test results are in. I actually passed my psych evaluation as normal or within the normal range. This is a shocker to me. Me, who I've dubbed the "Queen of Abby Normal," passed with flying colors!

All joking aside, I knew I was pretty well adjusted mentally. I have a positive outlook on my life in general, but not a rose colored glasses view. I tend to be firmly grounded no matter what comes down the pike. Most of this faith based, but whatever works. Although like most folks, the initial shock value does rattle me a bit. I do rationalize with research and facts over time. It's a logic component of my brain that still works overtime.

The MRI was acceptable for placement. My blood thinner stoppage letter is still good although my stroke risk jumps to 75% chance of having another stroke while off my blood thinners compounded daily.

As much as my stability centers on faith, I've learned over the decades to research worldly experiences to converse intelligently with care providers. Most of whom are not believers, but base their beliefs on facts and figures. Not everyone lives a purposeful, faith driven life like I do and I understand this. When researching a subject, in this case SCS, I balance both good and bad results to get the bigger picture of what I find. This is logical, right? I don't focus on the glass half full or empty reviews or experiences. In this case, I'm also research the various different devices (companies) and their research and results too.

Yes, it's a lot of research, but I want the biggest bang for my bucks. I want positive results or as positive results as humanly possible. Even if I'm not "paying" for it. Y'all long time readers know my views on this. Would you be any different?

This surgery will be covered by my Medicare and my supplement. Believe me, I checked and also researched the prerequisites. On a fixed income that's stretched to squeezing pennies into dimes, this is an important consideration. Of course, I'm talking about ROI (Return On Investment). Pain relief, return to premoderate spasticity and duration versus other medium functioning alternatives.

Example:

Botox injections, for me, every 90 days at $7K an appointment with only 45 days out of 90 pain control, and 14 days of functionality. Plus, PT with dry needling every week to twice a week for mobility (contracture prevention and pain management at $45 a session). Times this by the five and half years, I've done it.

RX bill is $240 a month without Botox with poor pain relief, zombified lifestyle, falling asleep when still for 15 minutes without heightened stimuli, and no functionality improvement. Plus, PT with dry needling every week to twice a week for mobility (contracture prevention and pain management at $45 a session). I've been doing this without Botox for 18 months now.

Versus 

A one time charge of $35K with battery replacement every 5 years, a 50%-75% pain relief, improve muscle strengthening, a minimum 50% functionality restored, possible reduction of muscle relaxers and no additional pain medicine.

For me, a 5 out of 10 isn't worth mentioning. It constitutes a good day with low pain. I can pretty well function normally I've been living with it for so long. So a 50% pain relief would be fabulous. At 75%, pain? What pain? If I complain of pain at a level 2 or 3, it would be heavenly.

To have 50% of functionality restored nonstop is way better than to backsliding into nonfunctioning that I've been doing with my worsening spasticity. With the combination of strengthening stroke paralyzed or weakened muscle, is gravy to top of recovery. There are very few case studies on this because this application is still in the result gathering stage. This is in its infancy.

So all I'm waiting for is the neurosurgeon's stamp of approval. I should hear something next week or my fingers will do some walking. All the pre-surgical hoops are jumped through on my end.

Nothing is impossible.

4 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well and you get some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The complex sequence of events you made happen to achieve this goal is stunning. I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.