Sunday, February 21, 2021

Sunday Stroke Survival: I Got It!

 


Well, Hanger finally called!! My new AFO was waiting for me. I had the appointment on Monday. It's pretty and white for now. When I look at the two, I have my old one AFO #3, the old one is badly discolored, the straps are dirty and fraying, and it's badly in need of some new straps. I'm going to hold off on that until after the break-in period for this new one. 

"Please God, let this new AFO not cause new pressure sores nor break the bones in my foot. Let it work as its suppose to. Amen!"

I can actually wear two of the same shoes again. So far, I'm up to four hours wearing the new one, four hours with the old one, and then back again. No complaints as of yet. It took wearing the other new AFO for eight hours before it broke a bone in my foot so I'm crossing my fingers it won't happen again. Maybe, just maybe, Hanger in northeast Georgia may finally have built as AFO that doesn't cause me problems and let me get on with my life.

I currently am doing no therapy with my leg because of the mismatched shoes, a broken foot,  and my AFO issues. I'm hoping that will change and I'll be able to start on it. 

My balance is horrible! I'm having to use my cane outside again. In fact, it's my shadow again. I'm having to touch furniture to correct my balance issues inside and I'm having to look at my feet with every step. I'm hunched over like an old woman now with very poor posture. It's really killing my back. At my current rate of falls for my therapist, she calculated and extended it to... 48 falls a year! That's scary because these are actual falls that I'm unable to catch myself. These bad habits will have to be broken again once I feel more secure in walking again. I'm looking forward to that.

All of this remains to be seen. I'll give it until my birthday in April before I decide to go with the new orthotics place, if it doesn't work.

Nothing is impossible.  

2 comments:

  1. Finally - something good that will propel you forwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good until today. Alas one of the velcro straps busted. Sigh!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.