Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sunday Stroke Survival: Attitude is Everything!

Attitude is everything or effects you and everything around you. It's true. Think about it.
A negative attitude (I've had sporadic bouts with) ...
  • is the reason behind most fights.
  • is the start of a bad day.
  • is the reason you're tired all the time.
  • is the route towards depression.
  • is the reason you don't have any friends
  • is the reason ailments are worse than they are.
  • is the reason you don't heal as fast as others.
  • is the reason others shy away from you.
  • is the reason you are miserable.
  • and lastly, it's self perpetuating. 
 Conversely, a positive attitude (I try to maintain)...
  • is in peace keeper mode.
  • is finding the silver lining in every bad situation.
  • is energizing.
  • is combating depression one episode at a time.
  • is the reason you have friendships on multiple levels.
  • is remembering something can always be worse and being relieved that it isn't.
  • is a proven fact that it promotes faster healimg.
  • is the reason folks flock to be near you.
  • is the reason you are happy despite the circumstances.
  • and lastly, it's contagious.
Contagious is a bad thing considering most of us are wary of catching COVID-19. It doesn't have to be a negative. It can be a positive too as in this case.

Wikipedia
You know the old saying, misery loves company? I know you've had to say or think it at least once in your life. I know I have too many times. There should always be a grace period of three days. Or, as my grandmother used to say, "Even dead fish stinks after three days." That's the longest a person should have to endure being around someone with a negative attitude or they'll run the risk of the negativity overwhelming them.

For the person with a negative attitude to three days of grace is important also, it becomes a habit. It's a way to justify them feeling lousy and not doing something about it. At first they use it to draw others to them. As the negativity continues, they drive others away. Then, this feeds the negative attitude.

While I'm a realist, I don't feed my negative attitude. I remain silent and not give it a voice. I look instead at a positive aspect in whatever is happening to cause the attitude. I did that in last week's post. I was feeling down, worried, and just plum tired of dealing with cancer again and living post stroke. It was beginning to overwhelm me to the point I couldn't function. I'd reached a point where I couldn't pray it away. For me, this is devastating. I had to turn it around. So turkey neck it was. I had a much better week because of it.

I could have stayed in that negative attitude until all of this was over, but I'd only be hurting myself. My roommate is in a constant state of depression and negativity. Every morning, the first thing out of her mouth after "Good morning" is a complaint. On really bad days, the it's a groan and a string of complaints. I have given up trying to cheer her up or put a positive spin on it. Instead I'll go outside to be greeted by happy critters for the first hour after she wakes up. I don't need the extra dose of negative attitude fighting my efforts to maintain my positive attitude. I'll come inside with some funny antic the critters did to break the cycle. I just choose not to go there.

That's the whole thing about your attitude. IT'S YOUR CHOICE. You choose each and every moment what attitude you portray. The only person you can change is you and nobody else. I choose my behavior to suit me. I used to say, "If you don't like the way I am, then YOU have a personal problem." It still rings true today because if I don't love me, I'm not happy. I change me because I feel the desire to change me not because you want me to. With Mel, I can't change her because she doesn't want to change. Again, it's a matter of choice. I can work around it and steer her (slightly) better attitude, or leave. I'm a peace loving sort so I change my behavior to coexist. Still, I'm hopeful that she will change. She's still a work in progress.

Nothing is impossible.



6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, but covid-19 has challenged me. It is harder to stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, The way I look at it, something is gonna kill us eventually so why worry about it. Be as safe as you can be.

      Delete
  2. You keep your attitude up and don't let her bring you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a big part is becoming aware of a problem and your attitude that might go with it. You have to acknowledge it and maybe label it sometimes before you can let it go or find a positive solution. Good luck with the room-mate. I feel for you about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I really hate labels. They seem so confining. LOL My roommate is my roommate. That's her personal problem. She can deal with it or not.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.