Sunday, August 4, 2019

Sunday Stroke Survival: Trouble with Tribbles

Original Star Trek series circa 1967
I got tired of using the Murphy's Law line. So instead, I chose the title of one of my favorite Star Trek episodes. The gist is the same. One little thing snowballs into some major things including death or at at least circumnavigating death once again for me.

Even the old Neitzche's line of that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger is old and trite to me after my past couple weeks. The fact is, I'm tired. Not that I have a death wish, but more exactly exhausted of living. I'll explain.

It all started innocently enough. I had an ultrasound of my "thyroid" scheduled for the week of  the 23rd. An incidental finding of the CT of my neck after my car accident at the end of May showed an enlarged thyroid gland. The only problem with this was my thyroid and parathyroid glands were removed in 1993 due to cancer. To say I was concerned by the new finding was disturbing was an understatement.  But yet, I had beaten this cancer before and knew I could again even though my mother hadn't. A plan was in place to ultrasound the area and consult a surgeon to remove the growth. My GP's feeling if it wasn't in there naturally, it should be removed with my history. I wholeheartedly agreed.

I had an appointment with my cardiologist because my unusual Electrocardiogram reading and changes in my EKG. It seems the I have low blood pressures throughout my body but have high blood pressure within my heart damaging my already damaged heart valves. My three of four valves are fast approaching replacement which I have refused and we were searching for additional options.

Both of these fall within living my life to the fullest without major interventions. So I faced them with no major upset and rolling with the punches. That's why this is my saga versus a blog. Stuff happens and keeps happening in my life that would overwhelm most people. I've learned over the decades to not sweat the small stuff and almost everything is small stuff. Living post stroke, living with a bad heart, or living with/post cancer is even small stuff in the whole picture of living. They are bumps or detours in the roadway of life. You get through them and go on living the best you can. That's all anybody can do, right?

So what tilted my apple cart? Yes, everyone has a limit, even me. I awoke on Friday the 20th and noticed my nightshirt was wet over my pump. I thought maybe my nightshirt had bunched up at my waist and sweat had accumulated there. I changed into t-shirt and shorts, and thought nothing more about it. I fed the dogs and me, and went about my normal daily activities. After about an hour, my affected arm brushed against my shirt. I noticed a 8" fluid stain on my t-shirt. Oh, great, I thought, I'm leaking baclofen from my pump. I could overdose if it were not correct. This made it an emergency situation. I put in a call to my baclofen doctor at Emory.

The rapid return call was not what I expected. There was no way I was leaking baclofen. There was a strong possibility I was leaking spinal fluid! This was an emergency. Arrangements were made for my direct admit to Emory. Even though I was on blood thinners, they'd have to go in and remove the catheter pulled from my spine immediately.

Upon my arrival, 2 1/2 hrs later with Atlanta traffic, I was whisked upstairs. Dr Au Yong was in surgery so in rushed two of his neurosurgeon residents. Upon excreting some of the liquid, taking swabs for the lab, I was put in a gown and put into bed. The good news was that it wasn't spinal fluid. It was pus from a massive infection. I had an abdomen full surrounding my pump. The emergency was only now mildly abated. The infection could spread to the  spinal fluid. I'd need a lumbar puncture to be sure it hadn't. One was performed and it was clear of infection. We had side stepped a bullet.

Saturday morning, my neurosurgeon came in. We discussed my options. The pump and catheter needed to be removed as the cause of my infection. Mind you, I had no symptoms of an infection...no pain nor fever, but a highly elevated white count was the only indicator. We had time to let my blood thinner work it's way out of my body while hitting this infection with heavy duty IV antibiotics for the best results. I would remain in hospital until after the procedure. The fact that I'd miss my ultrasound and cardiac appointments were a foregone conclusion. I'd planned too be bored out of my gourd for the 3-6 days for the blood thinners not to pose a danger to surgery.

It didn't turn out that way. I had a grand mal seizure. A subsequent CT showed a slow bleeding hematoma in my brain. I remember being asked repeatedly if I'd fallen on or hit my head over the past several weeks, but the only main possible event was my car accident at the end of May. Nothing else that could have caused my major concussion. A bur hole was ordered to drill out to evacuate the clot and reduce my brain swelling, but I suddenly altered consciousness before it could be performed. I had to be resuscitated because my heart stopped.

The pocket of infection ruptured. I have a hard time distinguishing fact from hallucination for the next week in the ICU. The year, my birthday and name orientation questions was hit and miss. At some point, they removed my pump and spinal catheter. This included an intensive abdominal flush of all the purulent matter in my body. I know because they told me. I was one sick puppy.

I had told my neurosurgeon about the possible return of the thyroid cancer so an ultrasound was performed. it showed cancer It fills the space where a normal or slightly enlarged thyroid would be. Nothing can be done until I finish an additional two weeks of IV and oral antibiotics is finished. I was discharged home on Thursday. Mel dutifully drove to Atlanta, picked me up, and drove me home in rush hour traffic.

Without the baclofen pump, the arm spasticity has returned. My arm is now once again curled into my chest and cramping painfully. I am on antiseizure meds until the hematoma finishes absorbing (another 3 weeks). They are making me extremely drowsy. My get up and go has got up and went. I can't seem to get my stamina back. Just the effort of walking to the bathroom and sitting at the computer is tiring after two weeks in the hospital. I've taken daily naps. I was told that they could replace the pump after I finish the antibiotics, but I'm hesitant. Dr Au Yong had sneaked into the neuro unit before my discharge. He's on paternity leave. He told me if I needed him in the next six weeks, he'd be there.

So all my apples spilled out of my cart. To date, I haven't had the energy to pick them up. So my my Murphy's Law, Neitzche lines have worn thin as I try to recuperate. I still have my throat surgery and radiation to look forward to...fun, fun. So now, it's trouble with tribbles as I continue to breathe another day above ground.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jo -- I know we emailed each other, but this post sounds so much worse..... do know my thoughts, healing white light, prayers, hugs are with you! You have always been an inspiration for me... Know I'm thinking of you.... hang in there...
    With much love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm remembering things more clearly after a week of being home. Still no white light stories though.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.