Thursday, February 28, 2019

And the Waiting Begins Again

Well After a whirlwind trip to Atlanta in two days, I finally completed all the prerequisite steps for the SCS (spinal cord simulator). I had my MRI and psych evaluation.

Whether I passed the psych eval is a huge question mark. I know from research that I threw a couple red flags in it.The biggest being my history of alcohol and drug addiction. The fact that I've been clean for for 33 years and was a court appointed counselor should offset that some. My PTSD is another red flag as is my fibromyalgia, I can do nothing about that. I can only hope that my coping skills in place for decades will offset these. That will be left up to the neurosurgeon's discretion. He said it might, but then again it depends on the neurosurgeon, but he didn't have a problem.

The damage to my spine which will show up on MRI should not be an issue because the implant will be higher for my upper limb pain and spasticity. But, the degenerative arthritis in my cervical vertebrae might be. 

I just don't know and it will be ten days before I do. ARGH! I waiting again! But it's only ten days.

On a lighter note, we have a new addition to our household. A 9- week old pit bull mixed puppy. Her father was a German Shepherd /Labrador cross. We've named her Kassity. Her Gaelic name means she whose full of love. It suits her. We'd forgotten how labor intensive a young pup can be. Maybe, it's because we getting older. Nah! That can't be it.

Yesterday, Mel tired her out walking to the creek twice about 1/4 mile round trip. It exhausted Mel too because it's all downhill or uphill going. She's still trying to make friends (annoying) all the multi-legged critters on the homestead. Only Nnyus, our guard dog, accepts her for now, but she's only been here since Sunday. We've begun training her the moment she got out of the truck.

On a sadder note, Nnyus who we thought had a cold with coughing turns out to have heart worms. So much for the hundreds of dollars we've spent on the preventative medicine. The arthritis she's had in her hips is actually hip dysplasia. Nothing can be done for either condition so we'll eventually have to put her to sleep, but that's not today. Today, she's teaching the puppy chicken corralling. The chickens have no idea how to take this fifteen lb (yes, she's gonna get big!), yipping, bundle of energy.

She keeps on wanting the puppy to follow her around the five acres she considers her domain. Only two acres are ours, but she claims three acres of our neighbors' property as hers also. They don't have dogs to guard it nor fences to keep out predators. But the little legs on the puppy frustrates her. She'll just have to wait until the puppy grows up a bit.

If nothing else, our critters will make the waiting time goes faster.

Nothing is impossible.




4 comments:

  1. Hope you pass that psych test.
    New puppy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed the psych test now waiting on the MRI. :O)

      Delete
  2. Well, that's good news for you, getting closer to getting SCS. At least I hope it's closer! Not such good news about Nnyus. We had a dog with dysplasia. The thing that really helped was gelatin - http://canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/gelatin.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, Poor Nnyus. We know and have been giving her that.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.