Friday, February 10, 2012

Quantify and Social Media

Yep, you guessed it. Today's blog is about quantifying your social media. If you are an indie author, like me, you juggle all the hats of publishing. You market via Pinerest, Twitter, FaceBook, literary sites such as Compuserve's Books and Authors forum, GoodReads, and all the rest. But how do you quantify that exposure? How many tweets, facebook posts, pins, etc does it take to equal sales?

In a word...hundreds.

You aren't known as well as the kitchen sink. You have no big advertising group behind you pushes you into the limelight and making you a household name. Several big advertising groups say it takes on average of ten exposures before a person will buy a product. These for an author is public appearances, book signings, tweets, Facebook posts, Pins, posts in GoodReads, etc.

I read an article by Bob Mayer this week which said you should have social media exposure seven times a day. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of time which could be spent on writing so I tried an experiment this past month (January). I didn't tweet, Facebook, or almost anything else for the whole month. The only thing I did do was write and blog. While I did answer emails and posts directed at me...I did nothing else. Looking back I probably picked the wrong month to try this in because everyone is busy paying off Christmas.

The results- No sales.

So now it's the second week in February. With still no sales and I'm beginning again with the social advertising and connecting. My office is all but finished, my family game room is taking shape and will be complete when I resurface my pool table, my storage/craft room is still a work in progress...but I've got to get back to business.I'm going to be busy as a bee creating more BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.